Thursday 18 October 2012

The Power of Laughter

Currently I am out of a job and need one desperately. I have some money troubles, who doesn't? The only thing causing me a ton of stress is the fact that I don't have a job, I'm not even finding school too stressful. But this job thing is killing me, literally. Stress is a silent killer. It increases neurotransmitters that can increase hormones like cortisol, which are harmful to the body. Cortisol decreases immune functioning, leaving you susceptible to illness and disease. A lot of recent research has been looking at the positive effects of laughter, which release hormones like endorphins (these hormones relax you). Laughter could quite possibly be considered a medication for fighting the effects of stress. Positive psychology is a fairly new area in the field, so more research needs to look at the subject of laughter. For now though I think it's safe to say whenever you feel a panic attack coming on, sit down and watch your favourite comedy.    
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/jobless-not-joyless/201210/unemployed-and-feeling-down-try-laughter-2

No comments:

Post a Comment